Pages

Tuesday 11 July 2017

Day 5: Activity 1 (One Step at a Time…)

After a long day at the beach, it is now time to move away from the water and drive inland, through the middle of the south island. You are going to start in Nelson and drive south before crossing a huge mountain range called the ‘Southern Alps.’ The scenery is going to be amazing!
Activity 1: After a few hours in the car, you, your group and Curious Kiwi arrive at your first stop – The Lewis Pass Scenic Reserve. It is a beautiful, regional park located at the base of the Southern Alps. You and your group get out of the van and follow Curious Kiwi. He is going to lead you on a short walk through the park. As you start walking, you notice a really cool looking tree on the side of the trail and you stop to take a closer look. When you turn back, the group (and Curious Kiwi) is nowhere to be found. Eek! You are all alone in the middle of a strange forest.
For this activity write a short story (8-10 sentences) about what might happen next. Please be sure to include lots of details about what you might be feeling, seeing and doing after you realise that you are all alone in the forest…
Writing:
I step away from the group to admire one of the taller trees. I remember reading about it in class, 
The mighty Kauri tree. I was looking forward to seeing one, so I stretched out my hand to touch  it. 
When I pull my hand away, it's sticky with orange sap.
 I turn to show my friend my sap-covered hand, but she isn't there. 
The whole group isn't there. My heart starts to beat faster, as I run along the trail to look for everyone.
 I start to panic when I don't see anybody, but then I see my friend's bushy ponytail, and I'm filled with relief.

 I run to catch up to her and she says 'Took you long enough'. We smile as we walk along with the rest of the group. Whew.  

3 comments:

  1. Bonjour Malia,

    This is a great piece of writing. I loved the way you used some adjectives and verbs to elaborate your message. I must admit I was amazed by your sentences such as 'it's sticky sap.' I can imagine the shock you went through when you did not see your friends behind you. I would panic as well.

    Awesome work Malia!

    Jacinta

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks much appreciated

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Malia. Great blogpost. I like how your story ended.

    ReplyDelete